Enforce minimum energy efficiency standards in the private rental sector

Minimum energy efficiency standards have been set by the Government for homes that are privately rented, with a minimum ‘Energy Performance Certificate’ of E required. Councils are responsible for ensuring that these standards are met, but research suggests that many councils aren’t effectively enforcing them at the moment, thus missing a key opportunity for cutting carbon and improving housing quality. See Cornwall for an example of where this has been implemented.
(Ashden Action 3 31 Climate Actions for Councils)